Commissioning and Energy Manager - Berkley, CA
Brightworks Sustainability is seeking an experienced, qualified Commissioning and Energy Specialist to join our team. The Commissioning and Energy Specialist position is tasked with leading the Commissioning process for different project types as it relates to LEED certification or other code compliance processes.
Projects include residential, commercial office buildings, core and shell, academic, commercial interiors, laboratory spaces, etc. Candidates should have experience in Commissioning processes as they pertain to new construction, core and shell, commercial interiors and residential programs, building retrofits, energy audits and retro-commissioning.
The employee filling this position will work closely with internal and external project teams. This position reports to a Brightworks Sustainability Energy Team Practice Lead and will be working closely with Brightworks Sustainability Project Managers as well as independently depending on project scope of work.
- 1Lead the Commissioning process from start to end
- Lead and engage the Commissioning team
- Understand the Commissioning requirements for LEED Certification (Fundamental, Enhanced and Monitoring Based Commissioning)
- Understand the Commissioning requirements for other code compliance
- Help project teams develop and provide guidance on Owner’s project requirement document as well as Basis of Design
- Prepare documents specific to the Commissioning process: Commissioning plan, training plan, specifications, pre functional checklists, functional performance tests
- Understand and provide review comments on complex HVAC systems, controls, plumbing, lighting and electrical distribution as well as renewable energy systems if needed, identifies discrepancies and monitors action plans
- Recommend approval to client and document work performed by the design team, contractors and commissioning agents
- Develop review design criteria, specifications, and other documentation pertinent to commissioning
- Write comprehensive reports on each Commissioning phase including but not limited to: recommendations for optimizing building operations, functional checklists, list of deficiencies, equipment operation and maintenance manuals
- Help lead and manage any external resources (other cx scopes)
- Schedule and direct periodic commissioning meetings; Attend construction and coordination meetings if required for the project
- Interface with clients, contractors, testing technicians, equipment vendors and owners as needed
- Interact with all members of the company: energy analysts, project managers, senior project manager, etc.
- Review control systems software and sequence of operation to meet required sequences of operation. Direct onsite system testing and monitoring of complex and integrated systems. Identify and document hypothetical scenarios to achieve optimum operations performance and control responses.
- Deliver building energy auditing and retro-commissioning services
- Perform site investigations, analyze exiting building utility data, energy savings calculations, develop cost estimates and written descriptions of energy conservation measures in support of design-build energy cost savings proposals and technical audits
- Mentor and coach team members to further develop competencies. Lead by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the company's values
- Participates in business development proposals and interviews with prospective customers
- Travel regularly for project needs
Education and Experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical or commissioning years of experience
- 4 - 6 years of experience as a Commissioning Engineer and/or Commissioning Authority
- Experience performing ASHRAE Level I and II Energy Audits
- Nationally recognized commissioning certification
- P.E. license
- LEED A.P.
- HERS rater credential
- CEA, CEM
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent understanding of Engineering Fundamentals
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving aptitude
- On the job experience troubleshooting commercial mechanical, electrical and control systems
- Working knowledge and manipulation of control systems and sequence of operations
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good presentation skills
- Highly organized with provenscheduled project management abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility to manage multiple tasks and meet high-quality deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- Professional attitude and commitment to high quality work
- Ability to interact effectively with others in a team environment
- High sense of integrity
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Bluebeam software.
- Understanding and Knowledge of energy modeling is a plus
This position will be located in our Berkeley, CA office. Our Los Angeles and Portland locations may be considered, depending on relevant experience.
NOTE: All Brightworks employees are temporarily working remotely until further notice. Onboarding and training will be conducted remotely.
About Brightworks Sustainability
One of the first sustainability consulting firms in the United States, Brightworks Sustainability has enjoyed a position of leadership and innovation in sustainability since its founding in 2001. we help our clients establish and implement operational sustainability programs that reduce their environmental footprints, advance their sustainability journeys, and increase their operational performance.
Brightworks' creative and multi-disciplinary staff offer expertise in the following areas:
- Sustainable and Healthy Buildings
- Sustainability and Healthy Materials
- Energy Analysis and Optimization
- Building Performance, Operations, and Maintenance
- Corporate Sustainability and ESG Programs
Leaders in their industries, our major clients include Apple, Bank of America, Brookfield, Facebook, The Green Cities Company (formerly Gerding Edlen), LinkedIn, Microsoft, Nike, Salesforce, Uber, and UCLA, among others.
Your Experience as a Member of Brightworks' Team
Our team members routinely cite the following aspects of their experience at Brightworks as most valuable to them:
- Making a difference
- High degree of flexibility
- Learning and growth
- Amazing colleagues
- Great clients and projects
- Recognition for performance
- Competitive compensation
You will be treated as an important strategic contributor, and you will be expected to make important contributions to the business while growing professionally, intellectually, personally, socially, and financially.
A Certified B Corp since 2010, Brightworks Sustainability is committed to benefitting society while serving its customers. From 2012-2017, Brightworks received B Corp's "Best for Environment" honor.
Compensation / Total Rewards
Our salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, we provide generous employee benefits that include:
- Flexible schedules
- Life and short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- A funded professional development budget
- 410(k) plan with many sustainable & socially equitable fund options
- Company 401(k) match
- Sustainable commuting subsidy
- Employee fitness benefit
We are committed to an inclusive workforce that fully represents many different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints. This is demonstrated by the representation of women in leadership roles, as well as a workforce that is strengthened by the significant contributions of our many employees from a variety of backgrounds, including our Latinx, LGBTQ+ and AAPI communities. We remain dedicated to enhancing our Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Belonging (IDEB) strategy that fosters connections and creates a welcoming environment for all.
We invite and encourage ALL diverse candidates to apply and join our team.