Sustainable Buildings Commissioning Agent - Los Angeles and Berkley, CA
About Brightworks Sustainability
One of the first sustainability consulting firms in the United States, Brightworks Sustainability has enjoyed a position of leadership and innovation in sustainability since its founding in 2001. We help our clients establish and implement operational sustainability programs that reduce their environmental footprints, advance their sustainability journeys, and increase their operational performance.
- Brightworks’ creative and multi-disciplinary staff offer expertise in the following areas:
- Sustainable and Healthy Buildings
- Sustainable and Healthy Materials
- Energy Analysis and Optimization
- Building Performance, Operations, and Maintenance
- Corporate Sustainability and ESG Programs
Leaders in their industries, our major clients include Apple, Bank of America, Brookfield, Facebook, The Green Cities Company (Formerly Gerding Edlen), LinkedIn, Microsoft, Nike, Salesforce, Uber, and UCLA, among others.
Your Experience As A Member of Brightworks’ Team
Our team members routinely cite the following aspects of their experience at Brightworks as most valuable to them:
- Making a difference
- High degree of flexibility
- Learning and growth
- Amazing colleagues
- Great clients and projects
- Recognition for performance
- Competitive compensation
You will be treated as an important strategic contributor, and you will be expected to make important contributions to the business while growing professionally, intellectually, personally, socially, and financially.
A certified B Corp since 2010, Brightworks Sustainability is committed to benefiting society while serving its customers. From 2012-2017, Brightworks received B Corp’s “Best for the Environment” honor. From 2018 to the present, Brightworks has received B Corp’s “Best for Workers” honor.
Compensation / Total Rewards
Our salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, we provide generous employee benefits that include:
- Flexible schedules
- Life and short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- A funded professional development budget
- 401(k) plan with many sustainable & socially equitable fund options
- Company 401(k) match
- Sustainable commuting subsidy
- Employee Fitness Benefit
We are committed to an inclusive workforce that fully represents many different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints. This is demonstrated by the representation of women in leadership roles, as well as a workforce that is strengthened by the significant contributions of our many employees from a variety of backgrounds, including our Latinx, LGBTQI+ and AAPI communities. We remain dedicated to enhancing our Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Belonging (IDEB) strategy that fosters connections and creates a welcoming environment for all.
We invite and encourage ALL diverse candidates to apply to join our team.
About This Position
Brightworks Sustainability is seeking a qualified Mechanical Engineer to join our Commissioning team. The Commissioning position is tasked with developing the Commissioning process for different project types as it relates to LEED certification or other code compliance processes.
Projects include residential, commercial office buildings, core and shell, academic, commercial interiors, laboratory spaces, etc. Candidates should have understanding of the Commissioning processes as it pertain to new construction, core and shell, commercial interiors and residential programs, building retrofits, energy audits and retro-commissioning.
The employee filling this position will work closely with internal and external project teams. This position reports to a Brightworks Sustainability Energy Team Practice Lead and will be working closely with Brightworks Sustainability Project Managers as well as independently depending on project scope of work.
- Understand the Commissioning process from start to end
- Provide support to other commissioning agents at Brightworks
- Understand the Commissioning requirements for LEED Certification (Fundamental, Enhanced and Monitoring Based Commissioning)
- Understand the Commissioning requirements for other code compliance
- Help project teams develop and provide guidance on Owner’s project requirement document as well as Basis of Design
- Prepare documents specific to the Commissioning process: Commissioning plan, training plan, specifications, pre functional checklists, functional performance tests
- Understand and provide review comments on HVAC systems, controls, plumbing, lighting and electrical distribution as well as renewable energy systems if needed, identifies discrepancies and monitor action plans
- Understand control systems software (BAS) and sequences of operation.
- Witness onsite system testing and monitoring of MEP systems.
- Write comprehensive reports on each Commissioning phase including but not limited to: recommendations for optimizing building operations, functional checklists, list of deficiencies, equipment operation and maintenance manuals aided by other commissioning agents
- Schedule and direct periodic commissioning meetings; attend construction and coordination meetings if required for the project
- Interface with all Commissioning team members internal and external to Brightworks.
- Participate in building energy auditing and retro-commissioning services
- Perform site walk throughs, analyze exiting building utility data, preliminary energy savings calculations, develop cost estimates and written descriptions of energy conservation measures in support of design build energy cost savings proposals and technical audits
- Lead by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the company's values
- Participates in business development proposals and interviews with prospective customers
- Travel regularly for project needs
Education and Experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical or commissioning years of experience
- 2-4 years of experience working in mechanical engineering, preferably site work
- P.E. license
- LEED A.P.
- HERS rater credential
- CEA, CEM
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent understanding of Engineering Fundamentals
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good presentation skills
- Highly organized
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility to manage multiple tasks and meet schedule deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- Professional attitude and commitment to high quality work
- Ability to interact effectively with others in a team environment
- High sense of integrity
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Bluebeam software.
- Understanding and Knowledge of energy modeling is a plus.
This position will be located in our Portland, OR office. Our Los Angeles and Berkley locations may be considered, depending on relevant experience.
NOTE: All Brightworks employees are temporarily working remote until further notice. Onboarding and training will be conducted remotely.